Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's your Red Rubber Ball?


Okay so I finished my last class needed for my Master's Degree, it was great! It was taught by a great teacher from Omaha. The class was building communities in your classroom and it was a continuation from a class I had previously taken. Both classes were emotionally and sometimes physically draining ( we played so many different versions of tag it was ridiculous). But our textbook was probably the best part! It was called, "What's your Red Rubber Ball" and it's by Kevin Carroll and I highly recommend it! We had the opportunity to speak to Kevin via a conference call and even on the phone he is inspiring. It is a look at your life through the eyes of sports and goal setting! (I have to admit the whole time I was thinking of 2 people, my brother-in-law, and my little brother) This workbook, of sorts, guides you into deciding your life goal or your "red rubber ball".

Now your probably thinking, why do I need to know this...I hate sports, it is so much more than that! Seriously....check out the above website and you will be floored!

One of the parts in the workbook was the "Magic Box" and I had to present this magic box to my class. I am not anyone who ever has issue talking to people or making presentations, but this was DIFFICULT. In the process of making this box, I realized how selfish it was. And in the presentations I became quite embarrassed and almost angry at myself for being so emotional...I hate crying, and I really hate crying in front of colleagues. Anyway, so this magic box was magical....it opened me up and made me question things that I always put in the back of my mind. Who would have thought that could happen? Like I said this is a selfish box, but after presenting it, though the embarrassment and tears I realized that its okay! Its okay to be selfish, its okay to have no idea what or who your future will be with and look like, its okay to want those things in life that everybody has etc. But at the same time I was still mad, I was mad that I had to find that out, I was mad that I was so selfish, I was mad that my "encourager" was not very encouraging. ( That will make sense when you read it) No matter what this magic box exercise was just that magical and needless to say, that I have started chasing my red rubber ball...which is in one word, Happiness!

No comments: