Monday, January 19, 2009

You crazy kids.

Please note, that on most cases I love my job. The list below is just as much positive as it is negative...

Really who wouldn't want to teach kids about a subject that in most cases, majority of students were already burned by; or, how about having a jobs that changes everyday, and requires you to constantly be organized, on your toes, accountable to a large amount of people and for a large amount of people. In this job you get to use your creativity daily, discuss, joke, reprimand, plan, get made fun of, get talked about behind your back, and on top of it all...hope that at least one students learned what you taught today. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen. (most of the time)

I went in to teaching because I felt that my teachers were not as good as they could be, school was boring, and I wasn't prepared for the future. I thought that I would do that, I would help kids be prepared, or at least more prepared than I was. I get the job at my old high school, and I think that some kids were a little more prepared than I was, but when so much is spent reteaching because students seem to forget more than they learn, it becomes a very frustrating battle, that sees no end... understand I am not asking for answers, more insight as to why students become forgetful. Or why/when does the English class become boring? What turns people away from some thing that is used everyday all of the time?

I just spent a lunch discussing with my sister what could be changed and what our future holds...granted she is career minded, is a manager in a non-profit and she too faces a lot of the same struggles that I do...in totally opposite fields. Why is it that making a people think for themselves is creating this situation where I am a dentist, pulling all of their teeth out. Granted, I love the idea of technology as a tool to understand and supplement pieces of education, and what we can gain from technology still amazes me, yet we have lost what it means to talk, to discuss, to show emotion more that :) :( :P. (I am aware I am discussing technology on a blog and it some ways it seems contradictory, but to me this a supplement to my class not my only outlet, I do know how to converse, discuss, and inquire)

Again, I find joy in my job daily...but do students honestly find enjoyment in education anymore?

3 comments:

231897820 said...

No.
Students don't enjoy the education. They are conditioned into liking things being done for them. I think this comes into my blog thing... thought is no longer necessary for people so they go for the next thing... I think... yeah they like to be excited and entertained. Some educators give into the desire and fulfill what kids want, but all these kids seem to take from it in majority is that bit of excitement... Well, that's what I view.
Anyway... students view should be worth something right? That's the subject of the question. I am a student...

Michaelangelo said...

So do students find education boring. Yes and no. There are many factors that come into play:

1. Whether the parents value school.
2. Past teachers.
3. What has been expected of the student.

For me personally, I love school. School is a place for me to be challenged and see my friends and teachers. Unlike many students, I get to know my teachers well and I enjoy getting to know them and what they have experienced so far in their lives. My parents have always been supportive of me in school. They were never angry if i received a B or C. They were always happy b/c they knew that i did the best that i could. My teachers also played a major roll in this.

Anyway. As to why students forget. The only subject that i really forget the subject matter is in math. I just can't always remember how to do stuff. Sometimes this is b/c i get bored and i space off in class.

I think that you are doing a good job Rowse. You are keeping things simple and you allow us freedom in our work that no teacher ever has before. I really like the freedom to be creative (even if i did kill off every character in Cinderella). Thank you for that freedom. I can't wait to do more.

Ellie said...

I think that in so many classes students are just told exactly what to do. We aren't really given a chance to use our creativity..we just take notes, do worksheets, and take tests. It's this same routine in every class. That's why I think once we are finally given the chance to think for ourselves we draw up a blank. We are programmed to anticipate a class period that consists of taking notes, getting lectured at, and trying to pay attention to what the teachers saying. Honestly..why wouldn't we expect this when its exactly what we get everyday all day long. I just realized how much I appreciate this creative writing class! :) Its refreshing to have class discussions without wondering when the teacher is going to tell everyone to be quiet and start lecturing again. But back to the point..I think its just that we're so used to everything being so boring and dull we wouldn't recognize a fun, exciting lesson in school even if it hit us in the face. If you really think about it, the freedom we have in this country to learn the way we can is something we all should be really excited about..even if the class is a take notes-listen to a lecture-take a test-type of class.