Friday, June 5, 2009

What will education look like in the future?

An old colleague of mine asked me to answer 2 questions for one of the classes he is taking this summer, the first question was, "How long have you been teaching?" my response was 3 blissful years. Creative I know. The second question was, "What are you concerns that you have about teaching?" This is where I was stuck...what are these concerns? Well this is what I said,

1. What does the future of education look like through the eyes of technology?
2. How will the school structure look in the future, will it be community based, individually based etc.?
3 Will schools ever be "up to date" or all online? College is??
4. When will school require a parent education class?
5. How will the students change from one year to the next, and what will the needs become?

This in turn prompted a ginormous amount of speculation and discussion in my brain. I received my teaching assignments for the 2009-2010 school year in may, it is filling my brain with what I need to be doing and how I will be getting it all done. I am only teaching 1 class that I taught last year, Creative Writing, which I am very happy about. But to add to it I am teaching Basic or "remedial" English to sophomores. This is where these concerns for the future comes in. So I sit and ponder how to invoke passion into these kids who have low reading comprehension skills and a variety of other issues. Hoping that they can find something exciting about this crazy world of education. Most likely causing them to change what the future of education looks like, I can only hope.

1 comment:

Angie said...

I love your new background, but you should change your font color because it is hard to read. Keep it up lady!