Tuesday, January 27, 2009

What is the appeal?

Students are dropping out of high school left and right, because that seems like the easiest thing to do. It also doesn't help that they see the people who have dropped out living the easy life with all of the money and time that they now have. Thus I ask, what is the appeal of this? Understand that dropping out didn't blatantly occur at my small class C high school, it was smarter to switch school than to drop out all together. That was also 8 years ago, mind you. However, now the school has a drop out rate higher than it has been, and no logical idea, that I have heard, to fix it. Again I ask, what is the appeal? Is breaking the law the appeal? Is spending time in JDC appealing? Is working earlier than you have to and knowing that you will be doing that for the rest of your life appealing? Maybe its the fact that you no longer have to deal with all of those teachers you didn't like. Those teachers who spent their weekends grading your papers, who tried to help you and remind you of things you needed to do, so you didn't fail. Who put up with being called names like bitch, racist, ass hole...just to name a few. Those teachers, must be absolutely horrible. I get that some people don't always mesh with everybody, but are you going to mesh with the people on the street? Or the cop that catches you, or the judge that sentences you?

I am not trying to prove that by dropping out of high school that the life described above is what is going to happen to all people. It is more blanket statements, than actual fact, yet, in a majority of cases, students who don't finish high school and/or go on to get their GED, lean toward ending up in that case. When has it become easier to quit than to conquer?

3 comments:

kaylajean said...

dear rowsie poo. i find that your blog is just a little angry. this is fine, considering the fact that it is your blog, but i'm sorry if you were having a bad day when writing this.


that is all.
xoxo kayla

Kristina said...

...I actually agree with you :) i would rather be making the BIG BUCKS than be sitting on my butt getting unemployment checks... :):):)



-kristina

Michaelangelo said...

The only appeal that I can see is the money. I know a kid who dropped out and came back to finish off the last semester that the student had left to go. I think that this student made a good choice, but i don't know why he/she dropped out in the first place. One factor could be the situation at home. If the family desperately needs money then a student may quit their job to so that their siblings can have food to eat. I know some students that have to pay to live at home and they are still in highschool. Its crap i know. Thats all i got for now. TTYL!

Oh and btw...
...its ok to be mad. I vent on my blog. It makes me feel better. And another thing...there are almost no teachers that i know of that deserve to be called any names.