Thursday, June 11, 2009

My Summer Reading List

Being a teacher, I have been blessed with free time. I have been using that time catch up on the necessary reading I don't always get during the school year. I also have to admit to another geek moment, I went to the public library this week and came across this 5 page list of necessary reads to be a life long learner, I of course went home and highlighted everything I had read on that list. I was mad fun of later!

My current summer reading list:

1. My Sister's Keeper ~ Jodi Piccoult (really didn't think I would enjoy this book that much)
2. Marshmallow's for Breakfast ~ Dorthy Koomson
3. Montana 1949
4. The Scorpion Room
5. A framework for understanding Poverty ~ Ruby Payne
6. Me 2.0
7. The Freedom Writers Diary
8. Yorkshire Terriers for Dummies (I can do much with out proper research)
9. There are no Bad Dogs
10. Teaching with Love and Logic

On top of all of these books I am reading through a collection of plays to pick out the new and exciting acting adventure I will guide my students on next year. Nothing is really tripping my trigger yet...

Any suggestions?

5 comments:

Musings of the Mrs. said...

I also didn't think I would enjoy My Sister's Keeper until I saw the ads for the movie. Now that is a first. The movie making me interested in reading a book and not the other way around. I still haven't read it but interested to know how it is.

Unknown said...

I will let you know! So far so good!

Maui Mamma said...

I just found you today. I teach 9th English. It is my 6th year, and getting better. I love your reading list. I too am reading. I am working my way through the As down through the Zs with a little teen reading mixed in for fun.

scarbroughsropingforever.blogspot.com

kaylajean said...

idk if you got my comment on my profile. but i'm going to northeast.
i'm thinking about moving into the dorms...
and i'm taking 14 credit hours...

i also got a new job yesterday!!!

Unknown said...

The Scorpion Room was really good- have you read the Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld? I really enjoyed them all. I also just read Hunger Games- you should check that out, it was excellent. Would make an interesting read aloud or perhaps a good guided reading book for your kids. -e