Thursday, January 22, 2009

Laziness VS Understanding

Practically everyday I wonder if students are understanding what is being taught; especially this time, since my sophomores are studying Julius Caesar. The reason for this contemplation is when asking for discussion or an answer to a question, I get glassy eyes and blank faces. On average 5 students are willing to respond. Thus I ask, is it fear, is it not knowing/comprehending, or is it laziness...someone else will respond.

No matter what it is, this creates an uneasiness for the future. If students can't respond to the questions being asked than how will they respond to a question in an interview? OR When their boss asks them what they want to do in the future? Is the education system making students fear the reactions that they will receive? Or is the ability to respond easier if it is left up to someone else?

For instance, in one of my classes, it got to the point that I had to remind them, if a question ends with a question mark, in most cases it should be followed up by a response, and preferably by all students not just the loud ones. I in turn followed up with, "Are you understanding what is being said?" those who responded said yes, the rest twiddled their thumbs and looked around. As a teacher it is my job to check for understanding, but how can you I complete that task if all I get is the loud kids to respond. I can use questions and worksheets, but that turns into a whole new issue, because on average 1/3 of my classes won't turn their homework in anyway.

What a can of worms I have!

3 comments:

Michaelangelo said...

I think that most kids don't answer b/c they are scared of having the wrong answer. It makes you feel stupid to get something wrong in front of the rest of the class. If teachers had a way to get past the fear of wrong answers then there would be a major increase in participation.

sambam said...

hmm..yea thats true.im one of those who doesn't answer. im not scared of saying the wrong answer or anything like that. i just dont answer unless im called on. so what i would do if i was you is just call on the quiet ones now and then to get them to answer instead of waiting for them to say something.

Gansta T Man said...

I agree with michael and Sam.